This strikes me as pretty much the one of the most ridiculous pieces of poorly-informed garbage ever to emerge from the radical new GOP:

The Republican Governors Association has embraced the symbolism of Fawkes, launching a rather striking website, RememberNovember.com [ed. note: warning: really creeepy!], with a video that showcases far more Hollywood savvy than one can usually expect from Republicans. Again, the Fawkes tale has been twisted a bit. This time, President Obama plays the role of King James, the Democratic leadership is Parliament, and the Republican Party represents the aggrieved Catholic mass.

The politics and substance aside, this strikes me as a remarkable bit of political messaging, not just for its cinematic quality. The RGA, under the control of Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, is clearly stepping out of the stodgy, safe territory it normally inhabits. It is aiming to tap into the vast well of anti-government fury now coursing through the nation. Who would have guessed that Barbour would embrace the symbolic value of the same would-be mass murderer as the Wachowski brothers?

The first point to make here is that this is a major, establishment Republican body taking up the imagery of a violent, anti-government almost-terrorist in its campaign to gain political power.

As Josh Marshall noted:

I find this completely bewildering. The Republican Governors Association is embracing the mantle of a 17th century radical who tried but failed to pull off a mass casualty terrorist attack to kill the King of England and all of Parliament…. Nothing shocks me anymore. But this shocks me.

How the fuck can “serious”, “important” people seriously do something like this in this day and age!?
9/11 changed everything? Yeah, my ass.

The second point here is that someone at the GOP might have considered the contemporary screen adaptation of the story of Guy Fawkes, V for Vendetta.

In this movie, England has come under the bootheel of a fascist, far-right government.

Guy Fawkes is represented by the mysterious “V”, a “terrorist”/”freedom fighter” who devotes his life to freeing England from the oppressive far-right government.

The movie even makes a delicious parody of our own Rush Limbaugh. Louis Prothero is the chief government propagandist in the film who launches into radio and television screeds against undesireables and those people he casts as enemies of the state.

The depths of the GOP’s depravity right now are really starting to scare the shit out of me.

1. wiserbud says:

>>>How the fuck can "serious", "important" people seriously do something like this in this day and age!?

I agree absolutely with this sentiment.

What's next, a movie that fantasizes about the assassination of a sitting US President?

2. towel says:

"a movie that fantasizes about the assassination of a sitting US President? "

No one would ever stoop that low. What a moron you are.

3. wiserbud says:

No, you're a towel!

4. Gherald says:

No, not seriously--or at least, not explicitly. I watched the video pitch and looked around the site.. There is no making common cause with Guy Fawkes or advocacy of blowing things up. And the popular verse being referenced condemns Fawkes:

Remember, remember, the fifth of November,
    The gunpowder treason and plot,
    I know of no reason
    Why the gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot

Appropriating this seems like pretty standard nationalistic, patriotic, our-opposition-are-traitors fare you'd expect form the right. And it's catchy and effective, so of course one needs to manufacture outrage in response and talk about how beyond-the-pale creepy it is.

Color me unmoved.

Ever the reflexive apologist I see

I make no apologies for anyone.

Both sides are calling each other undemocratic traitors here.

It's the same trumped-up election politics designed to turn out their respective bases… yes, you're being part of it with this post.

I do have to award Republicans style points for the vid, though.

5. I think that Gherald is on to something here. Blind obedience to party lines is not healthy and it is funny that one can not see either party as the villian in the V for Vendetta movie. For example your tie of Republicans or the "right" to facism is funny as the health care bill can only be decribed as a facist bill. With socialism the means of production are owned by the government, with facism ownership is not obtained only control is.

It is hard to argue the current Democratic party has anything but disdain for individualism. The Republican party does not have a great track record on this front either, but as of recently the classcal liberals among them are getting their day in the sun. Name one elected classical liberal democrat.

I am not sure how anyone can not see the connection to the current administration and that of the right wing government in the movie, taking control under the promise of solving all of our problems. The question is when Republicans get control of DC again will they take out the tyranny only to become tryants themselves? What will they do with these new power vested in DC?

6. As much as the partisan leftist in me would like to believe that Republicans are embracing the legacy of Guy Fawkes, that's not what I'm seeing in the video. Pretty sure the "November" refers only to the upcoming election day, and "Remember" was an easy rhyme to pair with it (not that it makes much sense in this context, but when was the last time a GOP message made sense anyway?). The rest just smacks of basic sensationalist fear-mongering, with enough of a budget to hire an undergrad film major to edit it together.

The Guy Fawkes tie-in seems like a bit of a reach. Is there something more explicit that I'm missing?