Well, mark this one down for the history books. I totally wasn’t even paying attention but the House’s health care bill passed – with a single Republican vote:

Moments ago, the House of Representatives passed the Affordable Health Care for America Act by a vote of 220-215, with one Republican — Rep. Joseph Cao (R-LA) — voting for the measure. Once the bill reached the needed threshold of 218 votes, the chamber erupted in applause. Members excitedly counted down the last few seconds of the vote. Watch it:

At the “House Call” tea party protest on Capitol Hill this week, House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-VA) pledged to the right-wing activists: “Be assured not one Republican will vote for this bill.” Cao’s vote must have surprised Cantor.

Cao has previously been touted by House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) once as “the future” of the GOP. The White House had reportedly “been in constant contact” with him prior to the vote. “Rahm is going all in to get him,” one aide told Roll Call, referring to White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel.

1. schu says:

Well, at least the leaders can call it a bi-partisan bill now. Although I can not see why it maters. The Democrats should have run this threw months ago and put all the blue dogs on note that they will be running alone if they cannot run together.

Have you learned nothing from the twelve years of Republican control? Tom Delay-style party discipline does not have a pretty track record in terms of legislative results.

And are you that eager for blue dogs to lose their seats in 2010? The Obama wave won't be there for them, and conservatives vote in droves. However much you dislike blue dogs, would not Republicans taking over half their seats be a heck of a lot worse for your purposes?

Pelosi did the best possible thing for Democrats by releasing her more vulnerable members once she'd crossed the 218 threshold.

• schu says:

Delay was an incompetent who could not control his corruption, a better example comes from LBJ's years of control of the house.

2. Teramis says:

Cao has big ole cajones for daring to step out of line with the pack on that, and such a rabid pack it is, too. He's someone I'm going to keep my eye on.

Don't waste too much time admiring him, he was only elected because he was running against a corrupt Democrat. His 75% Democratic district will kick him out in 2010.

one can hope. this is pretty much the only time he followed through on his pledge to think for himself

• Teramis says:

I didn't say I admired him; I said I'm going to keep an eye on him.

Persons who defy the group-think, peer pressure, and leadership arm twisting of their political cohort at a critical juncture are relatively rare. Especially among Republicans who get their membership to march in pretty tight lockstep when they want to. To be the lone dissenting vote in a party is an odd and lonely place. When people do that, I'm curious if it's a one-off thing, or a statement of principles that is consistent in their behavior.

Reminds me of Barbara Lee casting the only vote against invading Afghanistan. I keep an eye on her, too. Same reasons.

Unfortunately, it's better to have a corrupt corporatist sitting in adem chair right now rather than a republican.

I meant on the big stuff.

I.E. Stuff nearly every other rerpublican was stonewalling

• schu says:

We should be watching and noting everything that our representatives do, not just the bad things. We must especially watch the extremest ones that are doing whatever the teabaggers and the religious want. By trading on fear of the unknown they are building political empires that rival what the Klan had. None of these people were voicing their concerns while Bush/Cheney took one right away after another. .

6. schu says:

Only if they cannot deliver a reform bill.

It sickens me every time I see Delay's face on the TV. No amount ofshame will make those who have no shame go hide in a corner

• schu says:

They do not have the concept of shame, with their view of situation ethics everything is justified so long as they get what they want.