As I mentioned here before, I find Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to be a cowardly, spineless tool.
Yesterday, Reid basically signed on to the latest GOP Manufactured Outrage Event (TM) and torpedoed Obama’s request for funding to shut down Guantanamo. Here’s what he said:
QUESTION: If the United States — if the United States thinks that these people should be held, why shouldn’t they be held in the United States? Why shouldn’t the U.S. take those risks, the attendant risk of holding them, since it’s the one that says they should be held?Fuck Reid and the horse he rode in on. It’s brain-dead shit like this that may someday drive me out of the arms of the Democratic Party. Is there anyone in the halls of power besides Obama with any intestinal fortitude?
REID: I think there’s a general feeling, as I’ve already said, that the American people, and certainly the Senate, overwhelmingly doesn’t want terrorists to be released in the United States. And I think we’re going to stick with that.
QUESTION: What about in imprisoned in the United States?
REID: If you’re…
REID: If people are — if terrorists are released in the United States, part of what we don’t want is them be put in prisons in the United States. We don’t want them around the United States.
With all the posts I’ve had to write on Reid, I am rapidly running out of adjectives synonymous with “cowardly”, “stupid” and “ineffective”.
Earlier: Why I Think Harry Reid is a Tool; Blue Dogs, Harry Reid and Congressional Wranglings; Why Harry Reid is a Tool, Part 3
Update: John Cole highlights this story about Reid’s re-election chances:
Nearly half of Nevadans have had enough of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid as the powerful Democrat heads into his re-election campaign, a new Las Vegas Review-Journal poll finds.He and I see eye to eye:
About a third of the state’s voters would re-elect Reid if the 2010 election were held today, according to the poll, but 45 percent say they would definitely vote to replace him. Seventeen percent would consider another candidate.
Yeah. It would just break my heart if Harry Reid loses.Update 2: Harry Reid should take some lessons in moxie from Dick Durbin:
h/t Steve Benen
Some of my Republican colleagues argue that Guantanamo is the only appropriate place to hold the detainees and they said, and I quote, ‘We don’t have a facility that could handle this in the United States,’ end of quote. And American prison guards, they went on to say, quote, ‘have no idea what they’re getting into,’ close quote.Well, I would just say to my colleagues who made those statements, you ought to take a look at some of our security facilities in the United States, and you ought to have a little more respect for the men and women who are corrections officers and put their lives on the line every single day to keep us safe and to make sure that those who are dangerous are detained and incarcerated. The reality is that we’re holding some of the most dangerous terrorists in the world right now in our federal prisons, including the mastermind of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the shoe bomber, the Unibomber, and many others.
Update 3: Greenwald sums up the process that leads Harry Reid to be a spineless, quivering pansy:
(1) Right-wing super-tough-guy warriors project some frightened, adolescent, neurotic fantasy onto the world — either because they are really petrified by it or because they want others to be (“Putting Muslim Terrorists in our prisons will make us Unsafe! – Keep them away from me, please!!!“);
(2) Rather than scoff at the inane fear-mongering or point out simple facts to reveal its idiocy, Democratic “leaders” such as Harry Reid echo the right-wing fears in order to prove how Serious and Tough they are — in our political debates, the more frightened one is, the more Serious and Tough one is — and/or because they are genuinely frightened of being called mean names by Sean Hannity (“Harry Reid isn’t as scared of this as I am, which shows that he’s weak”);
(3) “Journalists” who are capable of nothing other than mindlessly reciting what they hear then write articles depicting the Right’s frightened neurosis as a Serious argument, and then overnight, a consensus emerges: Democrats are in big trouble politically unless they show that they, too, are as deeply frightened as the Right is.
- Personality crisis: Balloon Juice
- Give ‘em the boot, you know I’m a radical: Balloon Juice
- It’s not fair to deny me of the cross I bear that you gave to me: Balloon Juice
- Page 18 - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums: "LGBT RIGHTS"
- Page 4: The Most Powerful Man In The Free World
Wine Labels2012 Election Abortion Barack Obama Bullshit Bush Christianity Congress Conservatives Corruption Debt Ceiling Democrats Economy Fail Foreign Policy Fox News Gay Marriage Hatred Health Care Ignorance Insanity Law LGBT Issues Libertarianism Lies Media Mitt Romney Music Policy Polls Quotes Racism Rebuttals Recession Republicans Right Wing Sarah Palin Scandal Stupidity Teabaggers Torture Truth Video War Crimes War on Drugs War on Terror
- I Saw Jobs (3)
- Metavirus: yipes to that being the best scene. it’s so sappy and overwrought. it reminded me several times of an awful scene in an...
- Lev: Funny you should say that, since that’s one of the best scenes in the movie. It features an actor who knows what he’s...
- Metavirus: wow. i hadn’t heard much about the movie — thank you for warning me off. if it’s anything like that clip...
- Achilles Heels (1)
- So, Tell Me Again How You Planned On Repealing Obamacare? (2)
- They Take In Progressives And Turn Them Into Technocratic Centrists (2)
- AWOL (4)
- I Saw Jobs (3)
- Voting Against Their Interests
- Christianists' New Weapons To Reclaim Their One-Time Dominance: Self-Pity and Sanctimony. Fantastic.
- HCR, where are we now?
- America Deserves Better Than John Boehner
- Lugar To Lose
- Deep Thought
- The Magic of the Free Market: Oil Workers Held For Days After Explosion, Forced to Sign Waivers
- Fox News Has a First Amendment Right to Lie – Updated
- Oregon Ducks Win First Rose Bowl Since 1917
- Massive Illogic
- Quote of the Day: Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged
- Oh, Come ON! You Stereotypical Gays.
- Ralph Nader Is Still Politically Stupid
- Still Looking For The Next Hitler
- Exploring How Identical Twins Can Have Different Sexual…
- TownHall’s List Of Racist Liberal Quotes As Pathetic…
- Primate Discovery of Higher Causality Created Religious…
- April 2014 (15)
- March 2014 (21)
- February 2014 (33)
- January 2014 (31)
- December 2013 (25)
- November 2013 (32)
- October 2013 (57)
- September 2013 (32)
- August 2013 (57)
- July 2013 (56)
- June 2013 (44)
- May 2013 (42)
- April 2013 (41)
- March 2013 (66)
- February 2013 (42)
- January 2013 (74)
- December 2012 (67)
- November 2012 (44)
- October 2012 (51)
- September 2012 (35)
- August 2012 (50)
- July 2012 (36)
- June 2012 (35)
- May 2012 (51)
- April 2012 (42)
- March 2012 (64)
- February 2012 (85)
- January 2012 (79)
- December 2011 (68)
- November 2011 (76)
- October 2011 (67)
- September 2011 (55)
- August 2011 (53)
- July 2011 (44)
- June 2011 (71)
- May 2011 (103)
- April 2011 (107)
- March 2011 (120)
- February 2011 (124)
- January 2011 (82)
- December 2010 (97)
- November 2010 (92)
- October 2010 (93)
- September 2010 (80)
- August 2010 (44)
- July 2010 (63)
- June 2010 (33)
- May 2010 (60)
- April 2010 (34)
- March 2010 (50)
- February 2010 (66)
- January 2010 (67)
- December 2009 (72)
- November 2009 (78)
- October 2009 (91)
- September 2009 (75)
- August 2009 (105)
- July 2009 (81)
- June 2009 (178)
- May 2009 (152)
- April 2009 (147)
- March 2009 (86)
- February 2009 (52)
- January 2009 (118)
- December 2008 (18)