I’ve been reading the recently released Bush torture memos and am feeling sick to my stomach.
The scariest part was highlighted by Glenn Greenwald (click to enlarge):
This excerpt basically admits that most of the techniques the OLC lawyers approved are routinely condemned by our own State Department when performed by other countries.
I need an Alka-Seltzer. I’ll let Greenwald finish up for me:
Update: I can’t say this strongly enough. The torture that Bush committed in our names has resulted in the washing of all of us in the blood of the people we tortured. It is now up to each and every one of us to contribute to washing this inhuman stain off our souls.
The more one reads of this, the harder it is to credit Obama’s statement today that “this is a time for reflection, not retribution.” At least when it comes to the orders of our highest government leaders and the DOJ lawyers who authorized them, these are pure war crimes, justified in the most disgustingly clinical language and with clear intent of wrongdoing. FDL has a petition urging Eric Holder to immediately appoint a Special Prosecutor to determine if criminal proceedings should commence.
Obama did the right thing by releasing these memos, providing all the information and impetus the citizenry should need to demand investigations and prosecutions. But it is up to citizens to demand that the rule of law be applied.
This is an eye opening event for me. It’s easier for a liberal like me, who voted against Bush twice, to feel I’m off the hook. But, clearly, I kept my eyes closed and my mouth shut. When I let talk of torture filter in, early on, such as keeping people awake and some of the accounts of Abu Ghraib, I kept drawing lines to things I wanted to believe. They’re keeping them awake? Oh, that must be like playing loud music. Like… they used on Noriega. Today, I have to ask myself why I didn’t take to the streets.Update 2: Here’s another quote from Greenwald. We must heed his words:
I guess I’m “lucky” again in that I have a President who believes in the rule of law. But where was I, a Jew, taught to say Never Again when I was growing up? My guess is that somewhere this evil satisfied a dark place in me. A generalized anger or rage that we can all walk around with at times. Why else was I content not to stare this evil in the face?
The Obama administration should, on its own, initiate criminal proceedings, but the citizenry also has responsibilities here. These acts were carried out by our Government, and if we are really as repulsed by them as we claim, then the burden is on us to demand that something be done.If 250,000 ragtag rightwing nuts can turn out to protest nothing in particular besides a popular black Democratic President, and we can’t muster more than a whimper over spilling the blood of countless CIA detainees, then I weep for the future of our country.
More than 250,000 Americans attended protests yesterday (ostensibly) over taxes and budget issues. If these torture revelations are met with nothing but apathy, then it will certainly be reasonable to blame Holder and Obama if they fail to act, but the responsibility will also lie with a citizenry that responded with indifference.
- Personality crisis: Balloon Juice
- Give ‘em the boot, you know I’m a radical: Balloon Juice
- It’s not fair to deny me of the cross I bear that you gave to me: Balloon Juice
- Page 18 - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums: "LGBT RIGHTS"
- Page 4: The Most Powerful Man In The Free World
Wine Labels2012 Election Abortion Barack Obama Bullshit Bush Christianity Congress Conservatives Corruption Debt Ceiling Democrats Economy Fail Foreign Policy Fox News Gay Marriage Hatred Health Care Ignorance Insanity Law LGBT Issues Libertarianism Lies Media Mitt Romney Music Policy Polls Quotes Racism Rebuttals Recession Republicans Right Wing Sarah Palin Scandal Stupidity Teabaggers Torture Truth Video War Crimes War on Drugs War on Terror
- Obligatory Putin/Ukraine Post: He’s Not A Madman (1)
- Metavirus: that’s pretty much the sanest post on the topic i’ve read in a while. the likely outcome is...
- Rand Paul’s Long Road (2)
- Still Looking For The Next Hitler (1)
- Personality crisis: 30;] Never mind that Nazism didn’t occur in vacuum. Lev from Library Grape: […]
- What’s Wrong With Kansas Now? (1)
- Metavirus: i would love to see an economist quantify the aggregate dollar value of the billions of hours wasted in...
- Just Say No (1)
- Metavirus: i don’t understand how these reporters get enough oxygen to stay alive, considering that...
- Ralph Nader Is Still Politically Stupid (1)
- Give ‘em the boot, you know I’m a radical: 30;] But there was one thing they were wrong about: Ralph...
- Big Win For Forces Of Tolerance In California (2)
- Metavirus: we did vote on the whopper issue
- Obligatory Putin/Ukraine Post: He’s Not A Madman (1)
- Fox News Has a First Amendment Right to Lie – Updated
- Massive Illogic
- Oregon Ducks Win First Rose Bowl Since 1917
- Quote of the Day: Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged
- Ralph Nader Is Still Politically Stupid
- Still Looking For The Next Hitler
- Exploring How Identical Twins Can Have Different Sexual…
- Oh, Come ON! You Stereotypical Gays.
- TownHall’s List Of Racist Liberal Quotes As Pathetic…
- March 2014 (8)
- February 2014 (33)
- January 2014 (31)
- December 2013 (25)
- November 2013 (32)
- October 2013 (57)
- September 2013 (32)
- August 2013 (57)
- July 2013 (56)
- June 2013 (44)
- May 2013 (42)
- April 2013 (41)
- March 2013 (66)
- February 2013 (42)
- January 2013 (74)
- December 2012 (67)
- November 2012 (44)
- October 2012 (51)
- September 2012 (35)
- August 2012 (50)
- July 2012 (36)
- June 2012 (35)
- May 2012 (51)
- April 2012 (42)
- March 2012 (64)
- February 2012 (85)
- January 2012 (79)
- December 2011 (68)
- November 2011 (76)
- October 2011 (67)
- September 2011 (55)
- August 2011 (53)
- July 2011 (44)
- June 2011 (71)
- May 2011 (103)
- April 2011 (107)
- March 2011 (120)
- February 2011 (124)
- January 2011 (82)
- December 2010 (97)
- November 2010 (92)
- October 2010 (93)
- September 2010 (80)
- August 2010 (44)
- July 2010 (63)
- June 2010 (33)
- May 2010 (60)
- April 2010 (34)
- March 2010 (50)
- February 2010 (66)
- January 2010 (67)
- December 2009 (72)
- November 2009 (78)
- October 2009 (91)
- September 2009 (75)
- August 2009 (105)
- July 2009 (81)
- June 2009 (178)
- May 2009 (152)
- April 2009 (147)
- March 2009 (86)
- February 2009 (52)
- January 2009 (118)
- December 2008 (18)