Ok, so many this is a bit of inside baseball for most of you — but for me, the
thrashing death spasms civil war over at the Republican National Committee is just too delicious to not point out:
A battle over control of the party’s purse strings has erupted at the troubled Republican National Committee, with defenders of Chairman Michael S. Steele accusing dissident RNC members of trying to “embarrass and neuter” the party’s new leader.
Randy Pullen, the RNC’s elected treasurer, former RNC General Counsel David Norcross and three other former top RNC officers have presented Mr. Steele with a resolution, calling for a new set of checks and balances on the chairman’s power to dole out money…
The resolution prompted a top Steele supporter to issue a scathing attack against Mr. Pullen and his allies after they had asked Mr. Steele to support the “good governance” resolution at a special meeting of the full national committee set for next month. The party spent about $300 million in last year’s elections.
“I urge you to reject this hostile attempt to embarrass and neuter the chairman of the RNC,” Wisconsin Republican Party Chairman Reince Priebus wrote in an e-mail to the 168-member national committee.
I know that dancing on the newly dug grave of your enemy can be seen as a bit unseemly but, well, all I can say is that they did it to themselves.
I wonder how Michael Steele is feeling about his ultra-hip, postmodern push to re-brand the GOP using urban-suburban hip-hop flava?
Update: Civil war breaks out in the Midwest too!
Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr.’s appearance at a Michigan county Republican Party event was scrapped this week after the county chairwoman said that hosting the moderate Utah governor would mean abandoning the party’s conservative principles.
Kent County Republican Party Chairwoman Joanne Voorhees abruptly canceled the party fundraiser scheduled for Saturday.
“The voters want and expect us to stand on principle and return to our roots. Unfortunately, by holding an event with Governor Huntsman, we would be doing the exact opposite,” Voorhees wrote in an e-mail quoted in The Grand Rapids Press.
Voorhees did not specify which issues she felt were contrary to the party’s principles and did not return messages left at the party headquarters and on her cell phone.
The group Campaign for Michigan Families praised the cancellation, attributing it to Huntsman’s support of civil unions, and urged the Oakland and Kalamazoo county parties, where Huntsman is also scheduled to speak this weekend, to do the same.
As John Cole opines:
Update 2: I can’t help quoting Dick Cheney on the GOP death spiral:
Jon Huntsman, you all will recall, is the Governor of Utah, and who has an 82% approval rating as Governor and is a very viable way forward for the current GOP. But because he supports civil unions, he isn’t pure enough for the current GOP.This is the big problem for Republicans. The entire party apparatus at the state level has been taken over by a bunch of lunatics. The reason Specter switched yesterday was because the dwindling band of sociopaths who still call themselves Republican in Pennsylvania are so detached from reality, so far removed from the mainstream, and so convinced of the utter infallibility of their own bizarre brand of “conservatism,” that someone like Jon Huntsman or Arlen Specter, who deviated slightly on a few issues here and there, just isn’t pure enough for them.
“I think the GOP may well have some kind of presence over a period of time,” Cheney said. “The level of activity that we see today from a political standpoint, I think, will clearly decline. I think they’re in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency.”Oops, that was a shamefully misquoted clip from Cheney talking about the Iraq insurgency back in 2003, not the Republican insurgency Rep. Pete Sessions instigated.
- Personality crisis: Balloon Juice
- Give ‘em the boot, you know I’m a radical: Balloon Juice
- It’s not fair to deny me of the cross I bear that you gave to me: Balloon Juice
- Page 18 - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums: "LGBT RIGHTS"
- Page 4: The Most Powerful Man In The Free World
Wine Labels2012 Election Abortion Barack Obama Bullshit Bush Christianity Congress Conservatives Corruption Debt Ceiling Democrats Economy Fail Foreign Policy Fox News Gay Marriage Hatred Health Care Ignorance Insanity Law LGBT Issues Libertarianism Lies Media Mitt Romney Music Policy Polls Quotes Racism Rebuttals Recession Republicans Right Wing Sarah Palin Scandal Stupidity Teabaggers Torture Truth Video War Crimes War on Drugs War on Terror
- Obligatory Putin/Ukraine Post: He’s Not A Madman (1)
- Metavirus: that’s pretty much the sanest post on the topic i’ve read in a while. the likely outcome is...
- Rand Paul’s Long Road (2)
- Still Looking For The Next Hitler (1)
- Personality crisis: 30;] Never mind that Nazism didn’t occur in vacuum. Lev from Library Grape: […]
- What’s Wrong With Kansas Now? (1)
- Metavirus: i would love to see an economist quantify the aggregate dollar value of the billions of hours wasted in...
- Just Say No (1)
- Metavirus: i don’t understand how these reporters get enough oxygen to stay alive, considering that...
- Ralph Nader Is Still Politically Stupid (1)
- Give ‘em the boot, you know I’m a radical: 30;] But there was one thing they were wrong about: Ralph...
- Big Win For Forces Of Tolerance In California (2)
- Metavirus: we did vote on the whopper issue
- Obligatory Putin/Ukraine Post: He’s Not A Madman (1)
- Fox News Has a First Amendment Right to Lie – Updated
- Massive Illogic
- Oregon Ducks Win First Rose Bowl Since 1917
- Ralph Nader Is Still Politically Stupid
- Quote of the Day: Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged
- Still Looking For The Next Hitler
- Exploring How Identical Twins Can Have Different Sexual…
- Oh, Come ON! You Stereotypical Gays.
- March 2014 (6)
- February 2014 (33)
- January 2014 (31)
- December 2013 (25)
- November 2013 (32)
- October 2013 (57)
- September 2013 (32)
- August 2013 (57)
- July 2013 (56)
- June 2013 (44)
- May 2013 (42)
- April 2013 (41)
- March 2013 (66)
- February 2013 (42)
- January 2013 (74)
- December 2012 (67)
- November 2012 (44)
- October 2012 (51)
- September 2012 (35)
- August 2012 (50)
- July 2012 (36)
- June 2012 (35)
- May 2012 (51)
- April 2012 (42)
- March 2012 (64)
- February 2012 (85)
- January 2012 (79)
- December 2011 (68)
- November 2011 (76)
- October 2011 (67)
- September 2011 (55)
- August 2011 (53)
- July 2011 (44)
- June 2011 (71)
- May 2011 (103)
- April 2011 (107)
- March 2011 (120)
- February 2011 (124)
- January 2011 (82)
- December 2010 (97)
- November 2010 (92)
- October 2010 (93)
- September 2010 (80)
- August 2010 (44)
- July 2010 (63)
- June 2010 (33)
- May 2010 (60)
- April 2010 (34)
- March 2010 (50)
- February 2010 (66)
- January 2010 (67)
- December 2009 (72)
- November 2009 (78)
- October 2009 (91)
- September 2009 (75)
- August 2009 (105)
- July 2009 (81)
- June 2009 (178)
- May 2009 (152)
- April 2009 (147)
- March 2009 (86)
- February 2009 (52)
- January 2009 (118)
- December 2008 (18)